The Great Lakes Fishery Commission executes its programs through a secretariat located in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Under the Convention on Great Lakes Fisheries (and related implementing legislation), the Strategic Vision of the Great Lakes Fishery Commission, and A Joint Strategic Plan for Management of Great Lakes Fisheries, the commission coordinates research, fosters cooperation among the management agencies, and supports various committees and initiatives. Phone: 734-662-3209 (individual extensions listed below).
- Robert (Bob) Lambe, Executive Secretary (ext. 119)
- Dr. Marc Gaden, Deputy Executive Secretary, 734-417-8012 (For all media inquiries)
Fishery Management and Coordination
Collaboration among two nations, eight states, the Province of Ontario, and several U.S. tribes is required for effective Great Lakes fishery management. The convention directs the commission to "establish working arrangements" among the agencies, which it does by facilitating A Joint Strategic Plan for Management of Great Lakes Fisheries. This essential function ensures agencies share information, identify common goals, and work together to achieve their restoration and management objectives. The plan is viewed as one of the world's best examples of a cooperative, voluntary, consensus-based arrangement among independent governments.
Fishery Management Program Staff:
- Dr. John Dettmers, Director, Fishery Management (ext. 109)
- Erin Bertram, Program Associate, Fishery Management
- Roger Knight, Specialist, Fishery Management
- Steve LaPan, Advisor, Fishery Management
- Terry Short, Specialist, Law Enforcement
- Jeff Tyson, Program Manager, Fishery Management (ext. 128)
- Lisa Walter, Coordinator, Aquatic Connectivity (ext. 102)
Science and Research
Science underpins Great Lakes fishery management and the successful sea lamprey control program. Without science, fishery restoration and protection would be impossible. The convention directs the commission to lead a binational fishery and sea lamprey research program; to conduct, fund, and publish research; to convert the research to management practice; and to make recommendations to government.
Science Program Staff:
- Dr. Andrew Muir, Director, Science (ext. 116)
- Julie Hinderer, Programs Manager, Science (ext. 106)
- Carrie Baker, Assistant Programs Manager, Science (ext. 118)
- Jessica Ives, Special Projects Coordinator, Science (ext. 108)
- Renee Renauer-Bova, Fishery Research Program Associate, Science (ext. 120)
- Randy Eshenroder, Advisor, Science (ext. 123)
- Zac Blevins, Research Impact Project Lead, Science
- Reid Swanson, FishPass Assessment Biologist, Science (Stationed in Traverse City, MI; 231-421-1834)
- Dr. Daniel Zielinski, FishPass Principal Engineer and Scientist, Science (Stationed in Traverse City, MI; 231-421-1834)
Sea Lamprey Control
Under the Convention on Great Lakes Fisheries, the commission is responsible for developing and implementing sea lamprey control, which began in 1957, to drive down populations of the noxious, invasive pest that kills more than one hundred millions pounds of valuable fish if left uncontrolled. Sea lamprey control has been a phenomenal success. In most areas of the Great Lakes, populations have been reduced by 90%. Without sea lamprey control, the $7 billion fishery as we know it would not exist.
Sea Lamprey Control Program Staff:
- Dr. Michael Siefkes, Director, Sea Lamprey Control (ext. 113)
- Chris Freiburger, Manager, Sea Lamprey Control Infrastructure (ext. 115)
- Ted Treska, Programs Manager, Sea Lamprey Control (ext. 111)
The Communications Directorate is in charge of translating the commission’s science, sea lamprey control, and fishery management work to a wide range of local, national, and international audiences. The directorate does this through one-on-one interactions, engagement with media, presentations at outreach events, utilization of the commission’s website and social media forums, and development of various communication products including interactive displays, videos, fact sheets, and press releases.
Communications Program Staff:
- Jill Wingfield, Director, Communications (ext. 105)
- Zak Allan, Program Associate, Communications
- Christina Carter, Programs Manager, Communications (ext. 135)
- Lauren Holbrook, Program Associate, Communications *
- Dr. Andrea Miehls, Program Associate, Communications *
- Ross Shaw, Program Associate, Communications (ext. 132)
* On contract at Hammond Bay Biological Station, **
Legislative Affairs and Policy
In support of its binational coordination mandate, the Commission routinely consults, liaises, and operates within a community of government departments and agencies, stakeholders, industry, non-governmental organizations, lawmakers and officials. The Legislative Affairs and Policy Directorate regularly interacts with the parties to the Convention, and with other entities concerned with state/provincial coordination, and the sustainability of the Great Lakes. This directorate integrates the Commission's internal program areas, coordinates Commission activities with external organizations, offers legislative and policy advice, and liaises with lawmakers and agency/departmental staff in Canada and the U.S., and with individual fishery management agencies of Ontario and the Great Lakes States.
Legislative Affairs and Policy Program Staff:
- Greg McClinchey, Director, Policy and Legislative Affairs (226-980-9193)
- Dr. Marc Gaden, Deputy Executive Secretary (ext. 112)
Secretariat Operations and Support
Fulfilling the commission’s obligations requires robust administrative support. The Secretariat Operations and Support Directorate provides support to all the Directorates, manages the financial resources, arranges meetings, and coordinates the commission’s knowledge management program.
Secretariat Operations Staff:
- Steve Domeracki, Director, Corporate Services (ext. 117)
- Nick Ebinger, Manager, Internal Operations (ext. 110)
- Haley Fellows, Senior Associate, Corporate Services (ext. 114)
- Leah Gerweck, Senior Associate, Corporate Services (ext. 103)
- Sean Martineau, Manager, Financial Accounting (ext. 107)
- Jeff McAulay, Program Manager, Knowledge Management (ext. 126)
- Angela Pinkard, Accounts Payable Clerk, Corporate Services (ext. 104)